This week is the grand finale where we see what practical steps we can take to adopt a more positive outlook!
Steps to foster a positive outlook:
I have outlined what actions I took to eradicate my negative mindset and create a positive outlook, so that you too can increase your positivity and happiness.
- Read positive quotes every chance you get.
- Avoid gossip at all costs.
- Listen to uplifting music.
- Search the web for inspiring sites on positivity and personal development.
- Practise writing in a gratitude journal or mentally list five things you are grateful for each day.
- Surround yourself with positive people as best you can and let go of toxic relationships that no longer serve you.
- Most importantly be kind to, and look for the best qualities in, yourself and others.
- Give compliments freely and help others whenever you can.
- Brainstorm solutions to problems rather than focussing on the problem itself.
- Search for the lesson in every difficult situation you face – using the experience as an opportunity to develop and grow into your best self.
- Take the time to consciously visualise your future as happy and filled with realised goals and successes.
All of these actions were crucial in successfully taking me from a heavy negative bias to a strong positive one and I am confident that they will work for you too. The only thing I would say is to be patient with the process. Like me, you may have many negative years behind you, so it is unrealistic to think it will change overnight.
Whilst I was working in London I was extremely positive but positivity is something I have to consciously cultivate on an ongoing basis. That doesn’t mean that it’s always hard work, but in reality it does mean putting in effort at times. Life by its very nature has its highs and lows and remaining positive by no means changes that, but I will say that positivity allows us to be more proactive, resilient and optimistic when faced with difficulties, which ultimately leads to improved performance and success.
As I enter into my next work placement I aim to fight off the sinister virus of negativity by avoiding gossip at all costs. As with any menacing virus, my immune system will also need to be strengthened. My prescription you ask? Why, by consciously practising positivity every single day.
Once you work through the steps to foster a more positive outlook you will soon be on your way to a happier, more positive life. With so much to gain and virtually nothing to lose, what are you waiting for?
What steps appeal to you? Which steps would you be able to integrate into your life easily? Do you have any steps of your own that have helped you that you could share? Please comment below, I’d love to hear from you!
1. Keep the first three weeks exercises in a folder to remind you of:
- Which areas of your life you are negative and need to work on
- The benefits of positivity you want to cultivate
2. Write down all of the practical steps you want to take to develop a more positive outlook
3. Keep your written practical steps on your fridge or mirror (somewhere visible)
‘Discovering the Power of Positive Thinking’ by Norman Vincent Peale
Positively Positive – A blog dedicated to positivity!