Last week we looked at the areas of body and health, hobbies and interests and relaxation in our life audit. This week we explore the areas of family and friends and romance.
7) Family and Friends
Relationships are critical to our psychological and even physiological health. At the time of conducting my first life audit I hardly ever saw my friends and family. It was clear this area of my life needed a great deal of work. I scored a four out of ten.
Since becoming aware of how seldom I saw friends and family, I prioritized seeing them on a regular basis and the relationships in my life are now much stronger as a result.
If you believe your friendships are not the best they could be, please read ‘Why Building Strong Friendships is Important For Our Health’ to discover the 10 key behaviors which will improve them beyond measure.
Equally, should you like to develop closer bonds with family you can read ‘The 10 Key Behaviors That Will Ensure Strong Family Bonds Over the Holidays’ (which is applicable throughout the year).
I began assessing the area of romance in my first life audit I was entering into a divorce. Needless to say, assessing this area was disconcerting as I wasn’t even remotely where I wanted to be. I scored a miserable one out of ten.
For you it may be that you’re single but would like to find and connect with someone, or you may wish to enhance the quality of your romantic relationship. Whatever you desire in terms of romance, be honest about how close you are in achieving such aims and score yourself accordingly.
Brainstorm ways to meet people or enhance relationships. Below are a few ideas to help get you started.
Ways to meet people
- Join classes
- Join groups
- Go to a speed dating event
- Sign up for internet dating
- Encourage friends to set you up
Ways to enhance relationships
- Learn assertiveness
- Exercise together
- Spend quality time together
- Go on fun date nights
- Take a relationship course (try Tony Robbins excellent Ultimate Relationship Program)
- Go to couples therapy
After doing a thorough audit I discovered I was dissatisfied with several areas of my life, however I felt amazing, because for the first time I had begun to think about how I could change the conditions of my life. I realized I could transform my dissatisfaction into delight by adjusting my approach and changing direction.
The next step was to create concrete, meaningful goals. If you are similarly inspired to continue designing the life you long for, read my series on goals titled ‘How to turn your dreams into reality’ and begin taking definite action towards your ideal life today!
This is just the beginning of designing your dream life, so what are you waiting for? Conduct a life audit and create meaningful goals which will enrich your life. Creating a life that brings you joy and fulfillment is well within your reach and closer than you could ever imagine.
What would it take for the area of friends and family to score 10 out of 10 in your life? Are you happy with your romantic life? What steps could you take to improve these areas? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, insight and support from our community, we’d love to hear from you.
- Score your family and friends out of 10, with 1 being poor and 10 being amazing. Brainstorm and write down what would make your score a 10 out of 10.
- Score your romantic life out of 10, with 1 being poor and 10 being amazing. Brainstorm what and write down would make your score 10 out of 10.
- Put together your scores and written ideas of how to score 10 out of 10 in each of the eight areas together and hey presto – you have just compiled your first life audit!
- Read ‘How to turn your dreams into reality’ and create some meaningful goals for the year ahead.