Over the years I’ve come to believe that releasing tension is critical if we are to develop greater resilience. There are so many ways we can unwind, each extremely beneficial to our well being and resilience. One of the ways that has helped me is to create a relaxation haven in my home. A place to visualize, meditate and find calm.
For me this is my bedroom but it can be any room of your choosing, so long as it serves as a place where you can get away from it all. This needn’t be expensive so here are my top tips for creating a relaxation haven in your very own home.
- Declutter your space
- Organize your space, investing in storage
- Create a dream board
- Buy some uplifting art or prints for the walls
- Buy some plants if there is space
- Hang up photos of those you love in stylish frames
- Buy trinkets that inspire you (I have a white painted wooden ornament spelling ‘love’ in italics on top of my TV, I understand this is quite girly so for the guys out there are many more options, for example your favorite bottle of whisky on display, only to be opened when you achieve a significant goal – really anything that inspires you works!)
NB: If your space is your bathroom, leave your best toiletries on display and consider finding storage for your most motivational, uplifting reading. Provided there is enough space plants can add a tropical feel if positioned well too.
Does the thought of having a relaxation haven in your home excite you? If you already have one what does it look like? If you were to create a haven which room would you pick? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, support and insight from our community, we’d love to hear from you.