Being in a relationship with a narcissist can be very damaging, whether they be a friend, partner, co-worker or boss. Here are my top tips for disengaging from their very often cruel games.
- If working with a narcissist always write emails copying others in so the credit for your work remains yours.
- Focus on the good areas of your life outside of the relationship and distract yourself from the relationship as much as possible.
- Do not take their aggressive bait – ever. Remember being in conflict with a narcissist makes them feel powerful and feeds into their ego.
- Try to remember most abusive comments from a narcissist are projections of the parts of themselves they can’t accept because they find it too threatening to their sense of self.
- Create healthy boundaries and don’t accept them violating them – if they have a tantrum, let them.
Have you used any of these tips when dealing with a narcissist? Do you have any of your own tips you would like to share? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, insight and support from our community, we’d love to hear from you.