Take just ten minutes to list all the downsides to holding on to the thing that no longer serves you.
To help you get started some common cons are:
- Low mood
- Lack of motivation in life
- Lack of satisfaction in life
- Isolation from friends and family (if you have socially withdrawn)
- Panic attacks
- Being without direction in life and feeling lost
- Feeling angry
- Feeling confused
- Lacking ability to concentrate
- Being ill
- Performing poorly at work
- Being emotionally unavailable to those you love, impacting relationships
This exercise is not designed to make you feel hopeless but rather to help you see the impact not letting go and moving on has had on your life. Recognize how it is causing more harm than good whilst you read your own personal list. Choose life, choose letting go and moving on.
For those who are depressed following the loss someone you love, I would strongly encourage you to seek therapy as this can be extremely difficult to come to terms with.
For those living in America please click here to find a therapist.
For those living in the UK please click here to find a therapist.
Did you recognize any of these symptoms in yourself? Are you ready to leave these behind you and let go and move on? Have you considered finding a therapist if you have lost someone you love? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, insight and support from our community, we’d love to hear from you.