Being in a relationship with a narcissist can be very damaging, whether they be a friend, partner, co-worker or boss. Here are my top tips for disengaging from their very often cruel games.
- If working with a narcissist always write emails copying others in so the credit for your work remains yours.
- Focus on the good areas of your life outside of the relationship and distract yourself from the relationship as much as possible.
- Do not take their aggressive bait – ever. Remember being in conflict with a narcissist makes them feel powerful and feeds into their ego.
- Try to remember most abusive comments from a narcissist are projections of the parts of themselves they can’t accept because they find it too threatening to their sense of self.
- Create healthy boundaries and don’t accept them violating them – if they have a tantrum, let them.