Everyone wants to feel like their friends are interested in their lives and share in their emotional journey. In my happiest moments my friends happiness for me has been a source of encouragement, serving to cement the fact that my friends care deeply for me.
Likewise in my saddest moments my friends concern for me was comforting and allowed me to feel supported and not alone. Below are just some of the ways you can show your friends you are interested in their lives and invested in their happiness.
- The memory game: Ask them questions about what is going on for them and note down any important dates in your diary to call, text or see them in person, so you can follow up on what happened and offer your support, be there to listen or share in their joy.
- Buy them sentimental gifts for Christmas and birthdays which show you know what’s important to them. For example when I told my friend I wanted to write a novel she bought me a book on creative writing and gave me a gift card to go to a taster creative writing workshop that Christmas.
- Offer to take them out for a coffee, meal or movie on you if you know they can’t afford to go out – my friends have done this for me and it meant the world to me!
- Send them a random text saying you are thinking of them and wishing them well if you know they are going through a tough time.
- Send them flowers and chocolates if they are celebrating something or have reached a significant milestone.
What ways have you shown your friends you are invested in their happiness? Do you have anything you could add to the list? How was your gesture received? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, support and insight from our community, we’d love to hear from you.
Following using psychology to transform my life, I founded Accessible Psychology to help empower others to live the life they long for. My journey is living testimony that no matter where you are, absolutely everyone can apply psychology in order to lead more fulfilling lives.
Oh and I love Oprah, Marie Forleo, Tony Robbins and lovely people like you!