Sometimes when our friends are going through tough times that are foreign to us it’s hard to know exactly what to say or how to approach the conversation. Here are some deeper questions that will encourage your friend to open up to you, enabling you to understand what they are going through better.
- What are your expectations of (fill in the blank: event, person, purchase, anything!)?
- How did that make you feel?
- What did you think when that (fill in the blank) happened?
- What do you hope will happen in future?
- What do you think you will do now?
- How can I help you through/with this?
- Is there anyone else who can help you with this (if you can’t)?
Has one of your friends ever gone through a tough time you couldn’t relate to? Have you ever asked your friends any of the questions above? Do you think these questions would help your friends to open up? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, support and insight from our community, we’d love to hear from you.
Following using psychology to transform my life, I founded Accessible Psychology to help empower others to live the life they long for. My journey is living testimony that no matter where you are, absolutely everyone can apply psychology in order to lead more fulfilling lives.
Oh and I love Oprah, Marie Forleo, Tony Robbins and lovely people like you!