Brainstorming is the nitty gritty of problem solving and by far the most fun part, the bit where you get to imagine all of the possible ways of overcoming your problem, no matter how ridiculous. Narrowing down the viable solutions comes later – at the brainstorming stage anything goes!
Try these top five questions to help you brainstorm solutions to your problem:
- Imagine you were someone you know, your parent, friend, teacher etc – what they would suggest to resolve the issue?
- Imagine you were anyone great from history – how would they resolve the problem?
- Imagine you were anyone great from fiction – how would they resolve the problem?
- How would you handle the issue if you were a different age, gender, race etc?
- How would you deal with the situation one, ten, a hundred years from now?
Did the questions help you to view your problem differently or more laterally? Would you use these questions to help you brainstorm problems in future? If you are brainstorming a problem now, have you asked yourself these questions? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, insight and support from our community, we’d love to hear from you.
Following using psychology to transform my life, I founded Accessible Psychology to help empower others to live the life they long for. My journey is living testimony that no matter where you are, absolutely everyone can apply psychology in order to lead more fulfilling lives.
Oh and I love Oprah, Marie Forleo, Tony Robbins and lovely people like you!