How To Recover From A Toxic Relationship With A Narcissist
The devastation a narcissist can leave in their wake can be awful. As someone who has rebuilt their life after a toxic relationship with a narcissist I can say that life can be happy, meaningful and beautiful again, however unlikely that may seem when you first make the split.
Below are my top tips in order of priority for recovering from a toxic relationship with a narcissist, please do let me know if you have any tips of your own to add.
- Narcissists can work to isolate you from friends and family to gain more control over you. Take time to nurture relationships with friends and family to strengthen your support network and explain to them why you maybe haven’t seen them much during your last relationship.
- Most narcissists lack boundaries and often they may expect to dictate how you spend your free time (which they usually say has to be with them). One of the first steps towards healing should therefore be to learn assertiveness so as to protect you from similar hurt in future. Please read ‘How to free yourself and assert your rights’ which looks at how to protect your own personal rights that you were born with. Please also read ‘Assertiveness: A Journey Worth Taking’ to discover how to create healthy boundaries in your future relationships.
- Discover your passions and life purpose by reading my article titled ‘How to reveal your passions and discover your life purpose in 4 easy steps’.
- To create meaningful goals in your life to work towards and provide you with a strong sense of progress which promotes happiness, read my article titled ‘How to Turn Your Dreams into Reality’.
- Finally it’s important to foster more positivity, to help you get started please read my article titled ‘How to Avoid A Negative Downward Spiral by Using the Power of Positivity’.
Have you ever been in a close relationship with a narcissist? How did you recover? Do you have any top tips of your own that you could share? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, insight and support from our community, we’d love to hear from you.
Following using psychology to transform my life, I founded Accessible Psychology to help empower others to live the life they long for. My journey is living testimony that no matter where you are, absolutely everyone can apply psychology in order to lead more fulfilling lives.
Oh and I love Oprah, Marie Forleo, Tony Robbins and lovely people like you!