Letting Go In Action: List Behaviors That Accentuate Your Pain + Top Tips On How To Avoid Them
List all the behaviors that make you depressed or low and rate out of ten how sad they make you, with 10 being depressed and 1 being having no effect. Anything you rate at a 7 or above brainstorm how you can minimize engaging in these behaviors.
- Facebook or social media stalking – 8 – Deactivate your account for a month or two
- Looking at photos of them (unless they have passed away) – 7 – Place them away in a box
- Looking at videos of them – 10 – Every time you are tempted watch uplifting TED Talks instead
- Going to places which reminds you of them – 9 – Plan to go to places you’ve always wanted to go but haven’t yet instead
- Listening to music which reminds you of them – 9 – Delete from your devices and place the CD’s out of sight (or, even better, throw them away)
- Watching movies which reminds you of them – 9 – Throw them away
- Ruminating (thinking in circles with little problem solving) – 10 – Practice mindfulness exercises for ten minutes every time you catch yourself ruminating (if you can’t do this focus on your breathing for five minutes or place a time limit on how long you will ruminate – twenty minutes daily maximum)
Have you brainstormed how you might avoid depression inducing behaviors? Do you have any ideas that you could share which will help others? Please share your thoughts in the comments below to gain encouragement, insight and support from our community, we’d love to hear from you.
Following using psychology to transform my life, I founded Accessible Psychology to help empower others to live the life they long for. My journey is living testimony that no matter where you are, absolutely everyone can apply psychology in order to lead more fulfilling lives.
Oh and I love Oprah, Marie Forleo, Tony Robbins and lovely people like you!